Environmental, Health and Safety Manager
Location: Myrtle Beach, SC, USA
Job Description: Position is responsible for administering facility environmental, safety and occupational health programs. This includes ensuring compliance with local, state and federal regulations regarding wastewater, hazardous waste, air emissions and reclaim. Position investigates accidents and follows up with corrective and preventative action; conducts EHS training as required, including but not limited to confined space procedures, powered industrial trucks, chemical handling, respirators, emergency procedures, lasers, RCRA and lockout / tagout program. Position also coordinates EHS audits, Emergency Response Team (ERT) and ensures the facility conforms to ISO environmental standards.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Administers Plant Safety Program and conducts safety training as required, including but not limited to accident investigation, confined space procedures, powered industrial trucks, cranes, chemical handling, respirators, emergency procedures, lasers, and lockout / tagout program.
- Personally investigate and review accident reports and follow up with corrective and preventative action.
- Periodically review plans, monitor construction and installation, and sign off on all new equipment and manufacturing specifications prior to release for production.
- Conduct air and noise sampling on a regular basis throughout the plant.
- Periodically, inspect the facility to identify current and potential EHS issues.
- Meet at least monthly with representatives of all departments to discuss EHS issues and concerns. Publish and distribute minutes for these meetings.
- Manage the plant’s environmental activity and resources to assure systems and procedures are in place to maintain compliance with federal, state, and local regulations. Establish programs to stay in compliance and ensure the facility conforms to ISO environmental standards.
- Prepare required documents and field work to meet operating permit conditions and submit such information to applicable agencies in a timely fashion.
- Ensure the potential environmental impacts of all new processes have been thoroughly reviewed and understood before implementation.
- Manage hazardous waste collection and precious metal reclaim and maintain shipment records for these areas.
- Manage wastewater treatment facilities and staff.
- As needed, work with other AVX facilities, including Corporate EHS, on EHS issues.
- Ensure proper chemical storage is being used throughout the facility and perform training as needed for hazardous chemical communication.
- Coordinate and conduct emergency response team (ERT) training.
- Monitor Occupational Health, policies, programs, and procedures and update plant EHS specifications as needed.
- Coordinate on-site AVX Corporate EH&S audits and follow-up on findings / corrective actions.
- Bachelor's Degree in Environmental Engineering, Environmental Studies/Science, Industrial Hygiene, Safety Management, Risk Management, Chemistry, or related field.
- Minimum of 5 years related experience in manufacturing environmental programs.
- Supervisory experience for managing EHS staff desired.
- This position requires interfacing with a variety of regulatory agencies and plant management both in writing and in person. Communication skills must be excellent as individual will interact frequently with various management levels plus hourly employees.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a “US Person” as defined by 22 CFR 120.15 is required, or if a non-US Person, the ability to obtain an export license approved by the U.S. Department of State.